The town of Marienmünster takes its name from the venerable Benedictine Abbey of Marienmünster, which was founded in 1128. Marienmünster's main town and seat of administration is Vörden. Vörden was first described as a fortified town in a document from 1324. Subsequently, it was often destroyed by fires, especially in the 16th century. Unlike many settlements around it, Vörden survived the many wars and conflicts.
For this reason, some well-preserved beautiful half-timbered houses still stand in the town today. In 1730, Vörden Castle was rebuilt and remains in this form today.