It is considered to be one of the oldest and most beautiful houses in Herford. This is the Wulferthaus located at „Neuer Markt“. It was named after the councilor and merchant Jobst Wulfert, who had it built in 1560, so the year of construction can also be found above the hall gate.
Rib of a whale
The Hanseatic traders brought back unusual souvenirs from their travels. For example, whale bones were exhibited in churches as a symbol of the miracles of creation. The Münsterkirche made its whale shoulder blade available to the Municipal Museum. There is still a whale rib exposed in the Jakobikirche today.
Linen weaver/ Linen weaver square
The monument on Linnenbauerplatz, inaugurated in 1909, is dedicated to the last Herford hand weaver who brought his linen to the city for sale himself. The sculptor Gregor v. Bochmann shows the linen weaver smiling mischievously. He is counting his money for the bales of canvas sold.