Chełmno, a Hanseatic town picturesquely situated on nine hills of the Chełmno Heights, was the former capital of the historical Chełmno Land. The place was first mentioned in documents in 1065.
Chełmno offers its visitors interesting sights that have been well preserved from the Middle Ages to the present day. Among the most valuable are the fully preserved chessboard-shaped layout of the Old Town and the medieval protective wall with a length of 2,270 m, which is one of the best examples of defensive architecture in Europe.
Thanks to the relic of Saint Valentine, which has been kept in the parish church for centuries, and especially Valentine's Day, celebrated annually on 14 February, Chełmno is also known as the "City of Lovers®".