Veliky Novgorod: Conference on Hanseatic history
The Department of World History and International Relations of The Yaroslav-the-Wise Novgorod State University (Veliky Novgorod, Russia) will organise a conference on Hanseatic history on September 23-24, 2021 at the Institute of Humanities of NovSU. The conference is planned for young teachers, researchers, graduate students, undergraduates and students of Russian and foreign universities. The key goal of the conference is to expand the range of Hanseatic researchers and their cooperation with the Baltic Center of NovSU.
The conference will focus on the following research topics:
- Origins and beginning of the Hansa.
- Change of trading guidelines of Veliky Novgorod: from Gotland to Hansa.
- Lübeck - head of the German Hansa.
- Hanseatic communications in the Middle Ages and early New Time.
- Organization of Hanseatic trade.
- Hanseatic goods assortment in the frames of written and archaeological sources.
- German compound in Veliky Novgorod: the organization, functioning, social appearance of its merchants, their relationship with Novgorodians and the Novgorod administration.
- Russian, Lithuanian and Livonian cities in the Hanseatic commodity exchange system.
- Trade policy of the Livonian Order.
- Russian-Hanseatic cultural interaction.
- Daily life of Hanseatic people in Russian cities.
The conference will include excursions to the historical center of Veliky Novgorod and Antonovo (the former Antoniev Monastery).
Registration has been prolonged until 30 June 2021. See details and application form below.