Erkunden Sie kleine Hansestadt an der Elbe in der Altmark Tangermünde
Tangermuende Burggelaende

Alongside the historical Old Town, it it is perhaps its attractive countryside location, the museums, the exhibitions and concerts, for example in the historical Salzkirche, which really make a visit to Tangermünde worthwhile. Nature lovers, fans of watersports and cyclists will find ideal conditions in the local area, whilst moored at the foot of the castle are touring boats for trips on the Elbe. The annual Burgfest in September, the pottery markets, open gardens at Advent and many other events bring visitors flocking to the town.

Read more Show less

The 1,000 year old town Imperial and Hanse town of Tangermünde on the Elbe is a real gem. Even today it retains the appearance of a town from the Middle Ages. Tangermünde Castle, constructed on a plateau at the congruence of the Rivers Elbe and Tanger, was first mentioned in 1009 by the chronicler Thietmar of Merseburg. Under the protection of the castle, the town of Tangermünde developed from the roots of an early marketplace and was first recorded in 1275.

Its Old Town, which has been attentively restored in recent years, was almost totally surrounded by the imposing town wall with towers and gates, among them the Neustädter Gate, the Eulenturm and the Rosspforte. The oldest standing residence (dating from 1543) now houses the castle museum.

Within the red brick town walls are timbered houses from various eras, some with very beautiful wood carvings on the doorways and gated entrances. There are also impressive examples of northern German red brick architecture, in the centre of which is the Town Hall with its splendid decorated gables from 1430. Directly next to it is a memorial to a woman called Greta Minde, a reputed arsonist who was burned at the stake in 1619. With his novel of the same name, Theodore Fontaine also created a literary memorial to her.

Tangermünde was first described as a Hanse town in 1368. Its position on the Elbe encouraged trade, in particular in cloth, grain and wood. The merchants of Tangermünde nurtured trade connections as far afield as Flanders and England. Their civic pride and successes remain reflected even today in the well-preserved local buildings.

In 1373 the King of Bohemia, Emperor Karl IV proclaimed Tangermünde Castle as his second residence after that of Prague Castle. The town on the Elbe would serve as a vital link in the chain for his Empire in the powerful union of cities of the Hanse and their representatives on the North and Baltic coast. In the fifteenth century, Elector Friedrich the First had his seat in the castle. With this, the Hohenzollerns began their 50 year history in the area of what is now Brandenburg.

It is not only the buildings around the castle which provide the silhouette of the city, but also the Church of St Stephan with its 87m high northern tower. In the fifteenth century, this house of God was adapted into a gothic hall church. With the addition of the famous Scherer organ, the church now houses one of the ten most valuable organs.


Pictures of the Hanseatic City of Tangermünde

Stadtverwaltung Tangermünde

Lange Str. 61
39590 Tangermünde

Tel: 039322 93-0
Fax: 039322 25-73
E-Mail:stadt@tangermuende.de