In 1237, the nobles from Plotho awarded Kyritz the town charter „Stendaler Stadtrecht“. In the 14thand 15thcentury, the brave town's inhabitants twice successfully resisted the attacks of the Mecklenburg robber baron Kurt from Bassewitz. Kyritz was also known as a hanseatic town and above all, for its fabric and the beer named „Mord und Totschlag“ (murder and manslaughter“).
The “Franziskanerkloster” (monestry) first mentioned in 1303 belongs to one of the most meaningfull in the area.
As a member of the working community “Towns with historical centres“ in the land Brandenburg, Kyritz was committed to preserve all historical building structures. Many caringly restored half timbered houses provide the city with quite a special charm. One impressive building with particular charm is the „Eichhorstsche Haus“ building in the Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Straße which has one of the few original standing gables, built in 1663. The „Kirchplatz“ (church square) and the entire market place with its „Friedenseiche“ (peace oak tree) was reconstructed in the suitable style.
What catches the eye is the Tudor style built town hall with its clinker brick facade designed by the former land inspector Langen in 1879. The townscape is enhanced by the double tower front of the Marienkirche built in 1850 and designed by the former Prussian chief building advisor Mr. Stüler.
Worth seeing in the church among other things is the 13thcentury baptismal font and a painting from the Rubensschule and the 1873 organ from Reubke. Directly in front of the small town museum „Heimatstube“ at the market square, the Bassewitzbrunnen tells us the tale of the courages market women from Kyritz, who 600 years ago poured milletgruel over Bassewitz the knight, and by doing so conquered. His sword with which he was eventually executed, and an old Cologne bible are kept in the castle like town-hall.
A further treasure is the rose garden, which was designed with a play area, pavilion, resting places, small stream and a pond. The park's symbole is a sculpture made out of white Karara-marble „Die Woge“scuptured by Fritz Klimsch.
East of the town, thick forests surround the 23 kilometre long Kyritz chain of lakes. Motor boats are prohibited on the lakes. Instead, on and around the water, sailing boats, anglers, cyclists, and walkers can find the best conditions for sporting activities, or simply to relax and observe the beautiful nature. The beach area at the „Kyriter Untersee“, which is open to the public from May until October, is also very attractive. Boats can also be hired. The island in the middle of the lower lake with its comfortable restaurant is unique and can easily be reached by ferry.
At the small airport in Heinrichsfelde, which lies directly at the side of the B5 between Kyritz and Wusterhausen, a pleasure flight, baloon flight or glider flight can be booked. Apart from that, there is an agricultural-aviation museum, where one can be informed about the history of the former agricultural flights.