The Hanseatic cities in each country that has member towns or cities shall elect one of their number (or in the case of Germany: five) to represent them on the Commission. Seats and votes on the Commission shall be allocated to the following countries: Germany (five seats), Belgium, England, Estonia, Finland, France, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Belarus, Russia, Scotland and Sweden.
The Youth Hansa will also be represented on the Commission. The Commission shall automatically be enlarged by one seat with the addition of any country not previously represented. In addition, invitations to attend meetings of the Commission as consultative members shall be issued both to the city which organised the last Hansa Convention and to the three cities which are to organise the next three Hansa Conventions. The HANSE-Gilde (Hanseatic Guild) shall likewise have the right to attend meetings of the Commission in a consultative role, with one delegate. The members of the Commission shall be elected for a term of three years. In good time before expiry of said term, the countries shall hold further elections to choose the Hanseatic cities by which they wish to be represented in the Commission. Re-election of Commission members is admissible. The Commission shall meet at least twice a year, chaired by the President. He/she shall have the support of two Vice-Presidents.
The Commission shall in particular have the following tasks:
- Right of proposal to the Assembly for election of the Council
- Preparation of the next Hansa Convention
- Preparation of the Assembly
- Elaboration of concrete proposals to be put to the Assembly with respect to the policy and organisation of DIE HANSE
- Supervision of policy decisions and of further development of policy
- Consultation and coordination of project work of DIE HANSE after prior deliberation by the Council
- Submission to the Assembly of recommendations for implementation of projects.