Hanseatic town Salzwedel – Die Baumkuchenstadt
Worth seeing are the relics of the castle of Salzwedel in the castle garden, the town hall as a former Franciscan monastery, the passable town-hall tower with a wonderful view over the town and numerous churches. The inhabitants of Salzwedel are proud about the redesigned public place "Rathausturmplatz" with its fountain "Hansa wave" and its bronze-relief with an image of the former town hall, which burned down in 1895 at the same place. One culinary delicacy mustn't be forgotten during a visit in Salzwedel – the "Salzwedeler Baumkuchen" – which is made according to a traditional recipe. The "Baumkuchen" – made from finest ingredients – will be baked layer for layer over an open flame. And so comes into being the "Baumkuchen" in its irregular shape. Who wants to see the manufacturing of a "Baumkuchen" should contact the Tourist-Information or the bakers of Baumkuchen.
An amazing destination for young and old is the fairytale park.
You are invited to look and marvel at the horticultural landscapes designed with so much love and care. See the flowers and bushes, fairytale huts showing forest and castle fairytales, portrayals of the pranks of Max and Moritz, a fairytale castle, an ever-growing playground. There is so much more to discover. Summary about formation of the town the castle of the margraves of the Nordmark was first mentioned in a document in 1112, when it was besieged by Emperor Heinrich V.The ruling Margrave brothers grant the cloth merchants' guild the sole right to trade in cloth. In the document that is made out for this purpose Salzwedel is mentioned for the first time as a town "civitas" in 1233. It is thus regarded as attesting the town's foundation. The quick growth of the town in the 13th century indicates that important phases of urban development took place in earlier times. In 1247 there are reports of a New Town; but, hundred of years were to pass before the New Town and the Old Town were united in 1713.
The "Hanseatic League"
The name "soltwidele" is an obvious indication of trading and craft. Salzwedel profited from its convenient location on the navigable waters of the Jeetze, where "salt" was transported via a ford along the important salt road Lueneburg – Magdeburg. In 1263 Salzwedel merchants are licensed to trade in Visby on Gotland. The most important items of trade were woven fabric, linen and beer. In 1518 Salzwedel terminated its membership of the Hanseatic League. In the years 1544 and 1555.
Salzwedels efforts for a new membership were unsuccessful.
In 1991 Salzwedel join the Hanseatic League of the modern era and since 01. 04. 2008, Salzwedel counts to the Hanseatic cities. A highlight was the 28th Hanseatic League Convention in 2008.
Under the motto "The future meets the past" Salzwedel was the smallest town of Europe, where this event took place. 124 participating cities from 14 countries, 106 culture groups with more than 1,600 participants and more than 100,000 visitors experienced an unforgettable event of the "Hanseatic family".