During the delegation meeting of the International Hanseatic Days in Osnabrück in 2006, Marion Streitner (Doesburg, Netherlands) forwarded a far-reaching proposition: she requested the participation of the visual arts to be a constant part of planning the programme for all following festivals. The request was accepted unanimously.
This was the beginning of a successful and outstanding Hanseatic network: Lippstadt, being the next town to host the International Hanseatic days in 2007, had already developed a concept to carry out the idea of HANSEartWORKS (which was then called the HANSE Art-project).
The dedication of Mrs. Streitner and the decision of the delegates led to the implementation of the project not only in Lippstadt but also in Salzwedel, Nowgorod and Pärnu.
It is thanks to Marion Steitner that Jan Hoet became our adviser: Dr. Jan Hoet was director of S.M.A.K. (Municipal Museum for Contemporary Art - Städtisches Museum für zeitgenössische Kunst) in Gent and founding director of the MARTa Museum in the Hanseatic town of Herford (Germany.)
Since 2007 there has been a highly motivated project group called the "HANSEart". Alfred Wübbena (Osnabrück), Hans Molzberger (Salzwedel) and Carmen Harms (Lippstadt) are supervising the projects and will continue to be involved in all following HANSEartWORKS projects.
HANSEartWORKS 2018 in Rostock
Dear members of the International Hanseatic League,
the Hanseatic City of Rostock is due to host the 38th International Hanseatic Days from 21 to 24 June 2018. For the twelfth time, an exhibition of contemporary art will be set up in the city centre as a highlight of the scheduled programme.
The key theme of the 38th International Hanseatic Days 2018 will be „Take action“ (Einfach handeln). Member cities are invited to collaborate with local artists in preparing works in line with the associated exhibition theme: „Future City“.
All further details can be found in the attached invitation of the city of Rostock and the event description. The host city along with the HANSEartWORKS project group looks forward to receiving confirmation of your participation.
- Application deadline for the arts: 31 October 2017
- Application deadline for member cities: 30 November 2017
- Announcement of participating artists: 28 February 2018
- Exhibition opening in Rostock: 21 June 2018
- Duration of exhibition: 21 - 24 June 2018
All member cities and artists will be informed immediately once the jury has reached its decision.
It is compulsory for artists to attend the exhibition themselves to enable direct interaction with visitors. In order to help realise this, the city of Rostock will provide assistance as outlined in the event description.
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2016 in Bergen
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2015 in Viljandi
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2014 in Lübeck
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2013 in Herford
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2012 in Lüneburg
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2011 in Kaunas
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2010 in Pärnu
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2009 in Welikij Nowogord
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2008 in Salzwedel
- That was HANSEartWORKS 2007 in Lippstadt